Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Resume

Martha Harris
Bloomsburg University
JKA C209 Box 8115
Bloomsburg, Pa 17815
814-330-7859
mch26485@huskies.bloomu.edu
SUMMARY
Hard-working journalism professional with a solid education and
background in editing, staff leadership, and well-developed stories.


QUALIFICATIONS
I have taken editing, feature writing, newswriting, and public affairs
reporting, so I am able to write a variety of stories. As a member of
spectrum, one of the top 20 university-produced magazines in the
country, I not only know how to write, edit, and fact check stories, but
I have also learned to sell ads and work with ad copy, promote the
magazine, and bring in new subscribers and distributers from the
circulation department. Since this is a magazine for the permanent
residents of the surrounding counties, not college students, there is
community involvement.
I have taken statistics, which will allow me to accurately view numbers
and learn which ones are exagerated. This will help especially when there
are opinion poles because I know what a sample should look like, how
information should be collected, and how to calculate the margin of
error.
As a sociology major, I have taken qualitative research methods, where I
did indepth interviews with subjectts over a month time-period. Knowiing
how to do these kinds of interviews will allow me to write longer
articles with greater content.
I also have a sociological perspective, being able to look at issues
affecting the community as societal, not just problems that affect one
person. For example, most would write a story focusing on a homeless
person, hhow he or she became homeless, what that experience is like,
and how people around that person feel. While that is helpful and great
for leding into the article, the sociological perspective helps me
realize that most homeless people are veterins, mentally disabled, or
elderly, which could lead to an indepth look at government funds, the
healthcare system, and causes for these people to be out on the streets.

I have taken five years of Spanish and have spent time in Guatemala on a
volunteer trip working with at-risk youth. Being fluent will allow me to
easily interact with members of the community and better understand the
culture. I also have a background with French and Italian.



WORK EXPERIENCE
2007-
Copy editor and staff writerSpectrum Magazine
Bloomsburg, a

I write stories as well as check for AP style, spelling, grammar, and
structural errors. I also help craft headlines and oversee fact checking
for each article that goes in the magazine or on the website.
I joined the Spectrum Magazine staff my sophomore year, and I became the
copy editor after my first semester working on the magazine.



2006-2009
technology trainer
, Pa

Set up equipment and train children and adults to use computers, scanning
software, microsoft programs, the Internet, Email, and other programs and equipment


2006-2006
camp counselor
Baltimore, Md


Helped children to cook, write, survive outdoors, and travel safely in the
woods

EDUCATION

2006 - present Bloomsburg University
BA Mass Communications print journalism and BA SociologyBloomsburg, Pa


Activities
2007-2008 Alpha Phi omega, Community service fraternity
Volunteered at the SPCA, Ronald McDonald house, and soup kitchen
July 2008 Project in Guatemala
Helped former gang members and other at-risk youth build self-esteem, painted
their school and clinic, and learned about Guatemalan and Mayan Culture

Homepage

No comments:

Post a Comment